Danielle Preissing, MS, CNS, LN written for Dr. Kara Fitzgerald
I really enjoy serving my friends and family food that not only tastes delicious but is also nutritious. These fun, colorful seed and pesto zucchini appetizers are a crowd pleaser. I love these bites for their bright, tangy flavors coupled with a smooth yet crunchy texture. They also pack a variety of colorful phytonutrients which are known to support healthy body processes. The phytonutrients help promote health by positively modulating immune function, encouraging anti-inflammatory mechanisms in the body, supporting brain health, protecting cellular processes, and urging homeostatic balance. Even better, many of the ingredients in this recipe support healthy methylation, providing a solid foundation for optimal health. The Tangy Seed and Pesto Zucchini Bites are a perfect appetizer to enjoy with friends and family.
½ cup raw pumpkin seeds (preferably sprouted)
½ cup raw sunflower seeds (preferably sprouted)
20 kalamata olives
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
2 cloves garlic
4 cups basil (approx. 3.5oz)
1 cup arugula
3 tbsp pine nuts
1 lemon (juiced)
10-12 small cherry tomatoes (diced)
2 zucchinis (sliced into ¼ inch rounds)
1 tbsp sesame seeds (for garnish)
1-3 tsp Sea Salt (to taste)
Servings: 24 small bites
- If not already sprouted, soak pumpkin and sunflower seeds for 3-6 hours.
- Drain and rinse seeds, discard the soaking water.
- For Seed and Olive Mix – Add seeds, olives, 2 tbsp. EVOO, 1 clove garlic in a food processor and pulse until a crunchy consistency is achieved. Add salt to taste. Set aside.
- For Pesto – Add basil, arugula, lemon juice, 3 tbsp EVOO, 1 clove of garlic, and 1 tsp sea salt in food processor, mix until a smooth consistency is achieved. Add more salt if needed. Set aside.
- Assemble by spreading a small layer of pesto on each zucchini round. Next, with a small spoon, scoop the seed and olive mixture and form a small patty with your hand. Place the patty on top of the pesto.
- Top the seed and olive patty with diced tomatoes and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- Garnish with a sprig of basil.